Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I digress for a moment...

I know my blog is generally about scrapbooking and other lighthearted fare but today I just need to write about something a little tougher.

I hate Cancer. Well obviously right? Breast cancer stole my mom from me at 54 years old. It is an evil, insidious disease that can destroy you before you even know it's there. Every day it seems I hear of someone else it's affected and it makes me feel very powerless. There are loads of sites dedicated to all the things you can do to prevent it but the bottom line is YOU CAN'T. Does a 3 year old have a chance to eat enough anti-oxidants to keep leukemia at bay? Don't think so.

I am just overwrought today. I can't believe this awful disease will affect 1 in 4 people. 1 in 4!!! Not great odds.
Hug your kids, love your life and don't sweat the small stuff.
Easier said than done I know but you can bet someone with cancer is fighting for the chance to love their life.
Sorry for the downer. I am just furious today and had to let it out.

7 comments:

Darcy said...

You made me cry!

Sharon said...

Well said Shelby. Sometimes anger is the only response.

Andrea V said...

My 34yr old cousin is fighting a very aggressive form of breast cancer - I have felt a lot of anger lately - as Sharon said, sometimes it's the only response.

Carolyn Wolff said...

It is a terrible disease. I am sorry it stole precious time with your mom. You have reminded me to touch base with a customer that is battling for her life. I thank you for that.

Joanne said...

Not so much a downer, Shelby, as a reminder that we need to cherish each day and live it to the full! Thanks for sharing from your heart...
Joanne xo

Avril Tanner said...

I am so sorry to hear that you were having such a rough day... I can only hope and pray that things get better!Just know we are all thing about you!

mn36 said...

bad day today and maybe a good on e tomorrow with your boys. Let's hope!
Sometimes Hope and prayers are all we have. Lost my SIL to breast cancer at 45, my brother at 59 of cancer and my BFF now has breast cancer presently in remission. My BFF's neigbour's son is a cancer research doctor in Boston, let's hope his team finds a cure soon.