Tuesday, July 21, 2009

how fragile life is...

We've had quite an abundance of baby birds around our house lately and it's been incredible to watch. We discovered a rather unconventional nest under our playground slide in the backyard. A mother robin laid her eggs in a small indent in the ground, protected only by the slide and a few weeds we've let grow in to keep her safe. Yesterday the eggs hatched and I've never seen anything more fragile than these two little baby birds laying in the dirt. My heart broke when I saw them laying there, I thought they were dead. Then I saw them taking little shallow breaths and wiggling around. I was shocked that they were still alive. I moved away quickly so their mama could come back to keep them warm. I'm keeping the boys out of the backyard in hopes that by some miracle these little guys survive.


6 comments:

Julie said...

Oh poor little things... I do hope they survive. It is an odd place to build a nest as it seems so vulnerable to cats, dogs and raccoons in the area, but hopefully they'll be ok. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they do well.

shelby said...

Sadly one of them has died. The other little one seems to be hanging in there. I can see the mama sitting there from my scraproom. I hope that the one left makes it. Our backyard is fenced off pretty well so hopefully the predators stay away.

Karan said...

awh that is so sad...not often you see birds nest like that, unless its in desperation...i didnt see any shell remaints around the babies...mom must have been around at some point...its all nature though shelby, the strong survive...all comes down to supply and demand...one had to go, so one could live....

shelby said...

she's keeping it clean, very attentive.

Julie said...

So glad to hear that one is still okay. Keeping my fingers crossed it continues to thrive and get stronger.

Carolyn Wolff said...

So sad about one of the little birds. Hopefully the other survives. Amazing photos.